Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Afternoon

With my husband and kids out of town for the day, I'm home alone. I plan to spend the afternoon with my favorite author, George Eliot. I first read Eliot's Silas Marner when I was exceedingly morning sick with my daughter, Andrea, and since then, I've read everything except Daniel Deronda. Mary Anne Evans (aka George Eliot) fearlessly and realistically recounts some universal moral and ethical dilemmas, pretty unusual for a woman of her time.
"The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone."
George Eliot (quotes)

Who is your favorite author?

3 comments:

  1. Oh MY ... You have picked one of my FAVORITE books... I've read Silas Marner several times.... I think people just don't know how good it is! It was my choice for the book club last year..... now move on to The Good Earth.... then East of Eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have more to say about all of those books! What I liked: The Good Earth - women really do weave the fabric of society, and we should never forget that. East of Eden - great biblical allusions to more universal truths, and it reminds me of my Great Grandparent's California. I grew up hearing stories about those people. Silas Marner - made me a better person!

    ReplyDelete